Continuing my series on Google Services, this is another on Google Reader.
If you have read my previous posts on Google Services, you will agree with me that Google Reader is indeed the feed reader of the day and that I have been using Google Reader for quite some time now.
Today I have stumbled upon some cool goodies of Google Reader, that Ajax goodness and using the keyboard to make the most and the best of Google Reader. These keyboard shortcuts are not hidden away, but if you have seen and experienced it before, you will agree with me that they are cool. You can find them by going to help in Google Reader.
I will list all of them, but will also highlight my favorite ones here. Lets start with my favorites and then we can work down from it.
This will open up your subscription. You don’t need to scroll through all your posts to get to your subscription!
Type in the label name and hit enter. This will open up your subscriptions with the label name.
River Of News
You can have this in Google Reader! Pick your choice or combine all.
- ga – Goes to All Items
- u – removes the sidebar
- F11 – Full Screen
- 1: switch to expanded view
- 2: switch to list view
- n/p: scan down/up (list only)
- o/enter: expand/collapse (list only)
- j/k: next/previous item
- m: mark item as read / unread (For unread it is not listed in help, but I tried it and it works!)
- space/<Shift> + space: next/previous item or page
- s: star item
- <Shift> + s: share item
- v: view original
- t: tag item
- <Shift> + n/p: next/previous subscription
- <Shift> + x: expand folder
- <Shift> + o: open subscription or folder
- g then h: go home
- g then s: go to starred items
- <Shift> + a: mark all as read
- r: refresh
I love this and have printed this list and sits in the form of a post-it on the LCD. It’s only matter of time, before I get used to. Do you have any tips and tricks that you would like to share with all of us? Any other feed reader tips and tricks that you would like to blog about here? Contact me via the contact form and we will have it here for all!